When the Sydney Harbour Bridge was opened by the Premier of New South Wales, Mr Jack Lang on the 19th March 1932, the Harbour Bridge was one of the greatest engineering masterpieces of its time. Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) had an impressive and instantly famous landmark made in a style that reflects the end of an industrial era.
The bridge joined the city of Sydney (at Dawes Point) to the North Shore (at Milsons Point) obviating the need to travel by ferry or make a substantial trip around the harbour foreshores towards Parramatta and back. Read more the history of the bridge here.
You can watch a video clip of the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge which has been made available by Australia’s National Film and Sound Archive. A newspaper article from March 19, 1932 is available here.
The Sydney Harbour Bridge is one of Australia’s most well-known and photographed landmarks. It is the world’s largest (but not the longest) steel arch bridge with the top of the bridge standing 134 metres above the harbour. It is fondly known by the locals as the ‘Coathanger’ because of its arch-based design.
Information about the history of Sydney can be found here.